About Me

My photo
I am a math major hoping to become a high school math teacher sometime in the near future. I enjoy observing the lives of others and helping them in any way possible. Unfortunately, I am not omnipotent, so I can't see everyone or help everyone as much as I'd like to. There's nothing I love more than making people laugh and smile. Nothing else in the world makes me feel more valuable than my ability to give people a glimmer of happiness as often as I can. It's fun, it's easy, and I can do it anywhere!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 31, 2010

Podcasts

The first thing that I noticed about the podcasts were how they just spoke naturally. Not to say that they didn't stumble over their words, which they did very much so, but that they seemed to not really think about what they were going to say, but instead just jumped into the booth and spoke and hope it made sense once it came out. However, they did sound like radio talk shows which made it difficult for me to be interested.

I listened to MacBreak Episode 158. This shed some light on some Mac questions for me. I always wondered why do Mac products become more and more expensive with every product they make. I mean, it started with the iMac, a simple computer, to the iBook to keep up with the notebook era, then the iPod with it's odd navigating circle, and that is where things went down hill. The iPod turned into the iPod nano, one of the most easily lost products I have seen, then the iPod Shuffle, which is even smaller than that! The reason the "iProducts" keep getting more and more expensive is because they keep getting more and more complicated. The iPod Touch and the iPhone are easily their most expensive products (aside from the computers), and they are easily the most complicated products they have. However, they aren't without their positive points as they increase productivity and convenience. I love my iPhone, but if simplifying it would make it cheaper, by all means, do it.

EdTechTalk Episode 181 was especially exciting to me! I am a very hardcore gamer! The discussion was about whether games can fit into curriculum. I believe that they very much can. Given the right programs, it would be all too simple. However, theory can only get anyone so far. Unless instructors are willing to accept gaming into their curriculum, it will remain a theory. I have seen social games and programs at work, so I know that there are ways for people to connect and converse online with a common goal. However, the reason that teachers are reluctant to accept this form of education is that they believe that there should be a line between fun and education. But why can't educating be fun? I am probably one of the fastest typists amongst everyone I know, and it is because, as I was growing up, I had a typing game that would keep pushing me to type faster and would still be teaching me a trait that I would use for the rest of my life. So it can be mixed, they just have to accept it.

I found the podcasts to be extremely interesting. They ranged from a ridiculous amount of topics with just as many point of views and opinions. I can't imagine how many different podcasts there will be in just a few years. The world of podcasting is a large one and will only grow as time goes on. It will become an invaluable learning tool in years to come. Just wait and see.

Media Literacy in the First Grade

Wow... Those kids are way smarter than I was at that age. For that matter, they're smarter than most of the people I graduated with now! They can navigate blogs, they're open-minded, and bright. However, that one child who said that commenting shouldn't ever be negative seems a little naive, since I find that stupid people need reality checks some time and kind words don't always do it. But he's young yet. He'll learn. All I can say is that those kids have a HUGE advantage in education over most places who don't appreciate or have the resources to teach media literacy. Those kids have very bright futures ahead of them.

Little Kids... Big potential

I find it impressive these kids can navigate a url like the back of their hands, before they have reached the age where they can properly formulate sentences. When I was that age, I don't think I was even able to read yet. Then again, there wasn't anything remotely this interesting on the internet when I was a kid. Back when there was nothing worth learning on the net. It's a great thing to teach these kids young, but what about the people our age? Are they just supposed to sit back while the children of tomorrow are being raised to steal their jobs as soon as they're of age? I guess the adults of yesterday don't feel as much value in media literacy as children. What a shame. They're jobs are being threatened by first graders and they don't even realize it.

A Baby and an iPhone

You know what I find the most interesting part about this video? A one year old, who I doubt can feed himself properly, can efficiently use and navigate an iPhone. However, my 56 year old mother, who can cook a full dinner with no power during a hurricane, who owns an iPhone, can barely use the camera for it. But it's ok, she's coming to the age where I'm going to be the one taking care of everything involving technology for her.... Yay, me.....

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about the podcasts sounding like a radio talk show.. it was hard for me to listen also. I didn't have stuff like the internet when I was a child either, so to see children who can navigate thier way through the internet at such a young age is very impressive. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do a videocast if you prefer!

    How old are you? When you were in the first grade (age 6?) the internet as we know it today did not exist!

    In a sense you are correct that the more powerful and versatile iProducts are more expensive. But the iPhone is much more powerful than the first edition - and less expensive! The second model is MUCH less expensive. And the Nano costs less than it ever has and yet its price is less than ever. So I have to take issue with your overall argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 23. So about 17 years ago. I was not bashing on the iProducts by any means. They do their part and I never said that they weren't worth the price. They do everything they advertise and then some. I'm just saying they they seem to be getting more and more complex. And of course the first model was much more expensive than the new ones. New technology is always more expensive when they first come into fruition. For instance, the first flash Drive was only 16 MEGs and was HUGE, and still costed a fortune. High price and still in it's prehistoric form is just the norm for new technology no matter how poor it is when you look back at it.

    ReplyDelete