About Me

My photo
I am a math major hoping to become a high school math teacher sometime in the near future. I enjoy observing the lives of others and helping them in any way possible. Unfortunately, I am not omnipotent, so I can't see everyone or help everyone as much as I'd like to. There's nothing I love more than making people laugh and smile. Nothing else in the world makes me feel more valuable than my ability to give people a glimmer of happiness as often as I can. It's fun, it's easy, and I can do it anywhere!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

March 7, 2010

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

What an admirable man. I have no idea how I would be able to handle life in any way, shape, or form if I knew that Death had his finger pointed straight at me every moment of the day. I would most likely be too busy sulking to be concerned about the well being of my family, much about the academic standings of my students. What's worse, is that even though I realize what it is like to see someone with such courage handling it like that everyday, I still don't think I could bring myself to be selfless about it. I couldn't possibly imagine the amount of pain he is in everyday.

His own tribulations aside, the respect he has from his students is remarkable. He was the one they went to for help and they seemed to hang onto his every word. If I could get half as much respect and admiration from my students as he did from his, I would be ecstatic.

By the end of my life, I hope to touch half as many of my students' lives as he did. I also imagine I will be in full health when I do it, as opposed to the physical pain that he must have been dealing with. I wonder how he would feel that even after death, a small 33 minute video of him is still teaching future instructors and students all over the US. In one half hour, he has given life lessons that everyone can appreciate and use in life.

Be honest
Be earnest
Be humble
Be selfless

These are Dr. Pausch's last lessons. If more people can apply these to their lives, the world could only become better. R.I.P. Dr. Pausch.

2 comments:

  1. I am always moved by The Last Lecture. I watch it every semester. I am glad you found it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thought this was a very remarkable man as well. I believe he had the courage I don't think I could ever have. I agree that he did a wonderful job teaching and I am sorry he is gone.

    ReplyDelete