About Me

My photo
I am a math major hoping to become a high school math teacher sometime in the near future. I enjoy observing the lives of others and helping them in any way possible. Unfortunately, I am not omnipotent, so I can't see everyone or help everyone as much as I'd like to. There's nothing I love more than making people laugh and smile. Nothing else in the world makes me feel more valuable than my ability to give people a glimmer of happiness as often as I can. It's fun, it's easy, and I can do it anywhere!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

February 14, 2010 (Happy Valentine's Day/Joe Cain Day/Lunar New Year!!)

Who's Editing WikiPedia?

I don't know if WikiPedia will ever be a trusted source of information. As long as it remains freely editable, you can never be sure if the data you are collecting are facts or the immature prank of some jerk somewhere on the other side of the planet or just a random individual that just thinks that they are right and are spreading poor and incorrect information.

The only way that I can think of that will make WikiPedia trustworthy is by possibly having only a single person or certain individuals who know EXACTLY what they are talking about. Like the members involved in the organization or group that is being talked about or the individual should be the one giving their own biography, as there could be information that can be misconstrued or incorrect coming from a source that doesn't seem to know what they are talking about.

What I've Learned This Year

This post described tips left by one Mr. McClung based on personal experiences he went through during his first year of teaching. First, he learned how to read a crowd, which taught him that he had to work his lessons around his students as opposed to deriving his lessons solely around the curriculum. Second, he learned that "My Way or the Highway" was a VERY poor way to teach, and that he has to make sure that the students have to understand what's going on in order for him to be able to say that he is a teacher. Also, communication is key. This is a tactic he found to be more than just a tool for students, but also his fellow instructors. Being able to speak is a great way to build relationships and fix relationships. He listed many more, but I want to skip straight to the last, and what I feel to be the most important tip, Never stop learning. He says that instructors put all of the pressure onto students to try to bring them up to their standards, instead of realizing that these students are struggling and helping them. Instructors need to stop saying "do this do that" and "why can't you do this and why don't you understand that", and they need to teach themselves new ways to be able to reach them. That's the new way to teach.

2 comments:

  1. I use Wikipedia all the time. I am just cautious with living persons/entities/corporations. Generally, Wikipedia is an excellent, quick resource. You just have to keep your eyes open and your brain on. EVERYONE has a slant they are trying to sell you. Even me. So question everything!

    Mr. McClung is a great friend. We will probably have a Skype session with him this semester to see how Year 2 is continuing.


    Ah, yes. Never stop learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wikipedia is the first thing that will pop up when searching the Internet. I do not personally use it as a source in research or any fact finding. Anyone can change the information entered and you never know if you are reading fact or fiction. I would rather use a site/source that I know to be true.

    The article, "what I learned this past year", I thought is was awesome to hear the experiences of a first year teacher. It is interesting to hear what he learned in his first year and to think that soon that will be me!

    ReplyDelete