About Me

My photo
I am a math major hoping to become a high school math teacher sometime in the near future. I enjoy observing the lives of others and helping them in any way possible. Unfortunately, I am not omnipotent, so I can't see everyone or help everyone as much as I'd like to. There's nothing I love more than making people laugh and smile. Nothing else in the world makes me feel more valuable than my ability to give people a glimmer of happiness as often as I can. It's fun, it's easy, and I can do it anywhere!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

April 4, 2010

The Intrepid Teacher: Singing Hearts

Professor Jabiz Raisdana is a professor from Doha, Qatar. The first thing I noticed when I got into this blog was the grammatical error at the beginning: "I was going to beginning by saying that I have another Twitter Tale." Wow... However, he is from Qatar, so I'm sure the language barrier has a lot to do with it. Back to the matter at hand, he speaks about how Twitter was one of the many ways for his three year old daughter, Kaia, in Qatar was able to communicate with students in Missouri. The fact that his three year old daughter can use Twitter already was remarkable in itself, much less that she can use it to communicate with students on the opposite side of the globe! He goes on to talk about a book that he is reading called "The Last Child in the Woods," which makes him want to take his daughter out to explore their surroundings where they took pictures together and just enjoyed life. How amazing that in a desert and construction ravaged city, a father and daughter can still go out and enjoy the scenery together, and that a girl of such a small age can see the beauty in nearly nothingness.

Dear Kaia: This, This, That

Kaia, the three year old daughter of Professor Raisdana from Qatar, wrote her own blog to go along side her father's showing all of the picture that they took together. It didn't really occur to me exactly how young the girl was until I heard her voice. It's remarkable how much influence a parent can have on a child's mood. That a man can take his daughter outside into a desert and show her a great time that she will probably not soon forget just because of her father. It makes you wonder, if a little girl in a desert can smile and enjoy the lifelessness of a desert, why are so many people inside all of the time wasting their lives in front of TVs and computers?

Comments4Kids: Week 12

I watched a video of a little boy named Sebastion speaking in Maori. This was a language I have never heard of before, but it was really nice to see younger people making their best attempt to keep their native language alive. I wish I was still strong in my Vietnamese, however as time has progressed I have lost more and more of it. I actually have a lot more Japanese than Vietnamese, as sad as that is. And all of the Japanese was self taught!

2 comments:

  1. That's a good question, why are people wasting their lives and not enjoying the outside? One in which I do not have the answer for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jessica It's easy, it's comforatable, and it's in front of you. If you want to be outside more and not watching television, do what I did....get rid of Television. I mean what do you learn from two hours of your favorite program? Very little but it is entertaining and addictive...love me some chuck!

    As far as Kaia and Jabiz go, I admire the way he is storing memories and experiences that she, and he, can draw upon as they grow older. This is the new web cam meets pen pal...I think its pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete